Planning to do the (OAT) Oklahoma adventure Trail

• 4 replies

Offline Pixturethis

• +9/-0
    • 2019 Honda CB500X/ 2015 Ural GU / 2005 XT225 /1982 XJ550 Maxim
Planning to do the (OAT) Oklahoma adventure Trail
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
I would like to plan on doing this trail this year, I have read the forum on it, and it looks like a really cool ride that can have very different types of terrain, I know it isn't a BDR, but maybe it would be good to learn on, learn how to pack for a long trip like a BDR, I don't know, just thought I would put this out for anyone that might want to go on it. My plan is to use a few, maybe 3,4,or 5 3 day weekend trips around the trail. I really do not know as I'm not from the local Oklahoma area to really see how long it take.  I do not have a date yet planned, on when to start, would have to begin in May, maybe ? We can post on the calendar when we have an idea of what weekend to start on.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/making-of-the-oklahoma-adventure-trail.836706/

Feel free to ask as many question as you can think up, or just add any knowledge you might have about the ride.
thanks Marc
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:09:03 PM by Pixturethis »
Loud valves saves lives

Offline Derek

• Turbo retro-encabulator
  • +2/-0
    • [various loud orange bikes]
Re: Planning to do the (OAT) Oklahoma adventure Trail
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
I would definitely be interested in doing this as well, it's pretty close to us, and I have read a bunch of fried reports on it, sounds like a lot of fun!
Growing up is optional

Offline will_kc

• Have KLR will travel
  • +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
I am interested in the Eastern leg from Bartlesville to Hugo.  My mother is buried near Hugo and I usually drive down.
A long weekend would work best for me.
07 KLR 30K and it's still going strong.
20 KLX 230 - The little green machine.

Offline KAG

• +0/-0
    • KTM 1190 / KTM XCW500 / Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:48:25 PM »
2 years ago I did part of it (Cleveland to Poteau). It was ok but I wish I would have had more time to go further south then west some

Offline jay547

• +0/-0
    • 2019 Honda CRF450L
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
I am interested in the Eastern leg from Bartlesville to Hugo.  My mother is buried near Hugo and I usually drive down.
A long weekend would work best for me.

That's really probably the best part. I've ridden most of it from Salina down to the Talimena Drive and it is a lot of fun, good scenery, and an interesting route. Me, my wife, and my then seventeen year-old daughter did it on a DR650, a CRF230L, and a DR 200. Any dual-sport should have no problems. There is one short section of Blue Mountain Road that my be a little challenging for big adventure bikes due to large, roundish, loose rocks but the tough section is only about an eighth mile long. Expect to come across an occasional downed tree but we were able to get around them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:51:45 PM by jay547 »