• Kansas Dual Sport Safari 2018: June 01, 2018 - June 03, 2018

Kansas Dual Sport Safari 2018 Garnett, Kansas

• 56 replies

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
Re: Kansas Dual Sport Safari 2018 Garnett, Kansas
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Ok guys, I have talked with a lot of guys and gals that say they are coming to the event, but we only have 14 riders registered. I had been doing a headcount on my phone for people who say they are coming, and had over 40... Did we mention a steak if you register by the 18th? Door prizes are rolling in, we will have Darwin awards chosen by ride leaders, After the ride! Door prizes to draw for, good stuff.  Give me another week and we will post up some of the sponsors (Were working on a good one who may bring bikes orange bikes, and maybe some black ones!!!) and the door prizes. I will post some links to the bands that are playing Saturday. Roads and trails are ready! And the Lions are getting restless! Registering helps us plan the best ride we can plan! So, get your hall pass, get registered, lets go have some fun.
There is absolutely no excuse for what I am about to do.

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 11:40:22 PM »
Close enough to the ride, can you tell us what some of the routes are? Ride leaders? Length and skill level?............
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
Close enough to the ride, can you tell us what some of the routes are? Ride leaders? Length and skill level?............
I can try. Everything is relative to who shows up and on what and the weather. But Perfect case scenario. . .

We will have two road routes, and one Trails route. Each road route will transverse three counties, Anderson, Linn and Bourbon. Our routes will be between 130 and 170 miles depending on how much fun everyone is having could go more if the leaders and group decide. Routes will be 80% eastern Kansas gravel roads (they include lots of hills and curves, tree canopies etc.so stay together and wait for the man behind you!!!!!) there will be about 20% minimum maintenance roads (mostly in bourbon county) we have some really neat roads in Bourbon County, probably between 1 and 10 obligatory water crossings depending on water levels (none too challenging, but ya some a slick its water and it grows moss), We will give you all the sights and thrills that this part of our great state has to offer. These routes are for all skill levels. My wife will be riding on one of the routes. There will be no 85 mph with your hair on fire on these road routes. The roads in this part of the state are NOTHING like the Flint Hills. You cannot spread out over 15 miles with a group because there is at least one curve per mile on most of these routes or a giant hill and sight lines are much closer together. So speeds will probably average 35-45 ish... Pretty easy fun scenic riding for an interesting geography.

The Trails route is one that will have some requirements, I don't want to scare anybody off, but this is not big bike friendly, unless you don't really like your bike. Most of our trails are wide and groomed, but very hilly (think Arkansas) we have a couple gracious land owners who have amassed a lifetime of trail making into a really neat day of riding, some beautiful country and fun to ride. On this route you will need an aggressive tire, no street tires (I am running a Big Block and my son is on a TKC80). But again don't be afraid you just need traction for the hills. We will snake through an area of Anderson county covering more than 3500 acres and I'm not sure how many miles of trails as your gps will cut out many many times due to the tree cover. On this ride it will My son and I will be leading it but the intention is for the group to decide. We can stick to the open trails and throw a little roads in there, or we can continue to get into harder trails, majority rules. As the group sees the trails we will adapt and go from there. These trails are fun to just rip around great place for skill building! But This would be considered the advanced ride. 

Ride Leaders consist of (for certain): Larry Webber- one of the most experienced ride leaders I know, talented rider and somehow this man knows every road in this state, and by name! It is kinda creepy. Great guy. Larry and his knowledge may go anywhere cause he knows everywhere but the mission is as stated above.
Dane Hicks and Pat Schettler- will be leading another ride on the roads they have been exploring with Larry and I for a while now and are always fun and safe your in good hands. They are quite the jokers and a good time will be had be all!
Russ & Burt Peterson - Father son team that lives to ride and play music, and just enjoy life. We want to have as much fun as we can have and NOT get somebody's eye put out. (yes i bought  Russ a red rider when he was 4).

Questions are welcome! This is a destination event. Wives will find all kinds of fun and we will be entertaining and feeding you. The hospitality of the Garnett Lion's Club and our town welcomes all.

Offline Derek

• Turbo retro-encabulator
  • +2/-0
    • [various loud orange bikes]
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
I am super excited for this ride!! If you guys havent signed up yet- SIGN UP!! Rides like these take a lot of time and effort to plan and orchestrate. Please do Burt and crew a solid by signing up today!
Growing up is optional

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »
I am super excited for this ride!! If you guys havent signed up yet- SIGN UP!! Rides like these take a lot of time and effort to plan and orchestrate. Please do Burt and crew a solid by signing up today!

Boy you said a mouthful there my friend! I had no idea until now! It will all be worth it, but ya just knowing how many are coming is a HUGE HUGE HUGE help. From food and door prizes to the ride planning that is where it all starts... How many!
We sure do appreciate all the support and kind words everyone has had for this. I am in deep prayer that we can meet and hopefully exceed expectation for a good time! I have done many things and met many people, but in Aviation, and Motorcycling I have met and continue to enjoy some of the best people on earth. That's why we do it. Thanks Derek.

Offline Derek

• +2/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »

Just show up and pin it, Scott! :) 
Growing up is optional

Offline Derek

• +2/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
Just reserved a room at the Kirk House for my wife and I!
Growing up is optional

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
Just reserved a room at the Kirk House for my wife and I!
Smart man it is such a neat house! Tell Scott your with the Dual Sport Rally and there will be a discount. Sitting on the front porch of the Kirk House for some reason the Bourbon just goes down smoother! You'll see.

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »

Just show up and pin it, Scott! :)

Would you expect any less from me? 
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250

Offline Rebl617

• +0/-0
    • 09 klx351
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Is camping included in the registration  fee?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:51:15 PM by Rebl617 »

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »
Is camping included in the registration  fee?
No it is not. Page one of this has the link to the city of Garnett. They own the camping spots. I'm not sure the cost off hand but it isn't much. And there are showers in the rec center and at the fairgrounds. If you need them.

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
  • The orange Kool-Aid tastes good!
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:16 AM »
I'm planning on camping to save a few bucks. Too many rides, not enough dollars!  :(
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Harvey Mushman

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
Just registered, looking forward to the "Trail" ride. See y'all Sat AM!

-Harvey
'07 EXC450

Offline hbadventure

• +6/-1
    • Suzuki DR 650
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »
Just registered, looking forward to the "Trail" ride. See y'all Sat AM!

-Harvey
'07 EXC450
So you are not coming to Malones Friday? Well we look forward to meeting you!

Offline asis

• +4/-0
    • 18' KLX 250
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
Is there a lunch stop planned for any routes?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:39:39 PM by asis »
05' KLR 650
18' KLX 250