• 14 replies

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
  • The orange Kool-Aid tastes good!
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
KTM 1090 Adventure R
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
So I'm seriously considering trading/selling both my KLR 692 and Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer to go down to one bike, a KTM 1090 Adventure R. I thought about the Africa Twin as well, and it's a very nice bike, but I just like the finish and specifications of the KTM a bit better. To be honest, the hydraulic clutch is a pretty big factor, after having ridden my dads' KTM 690 Enduro.

I'm curious about other thoughts and opinions. Some of my concerns are "KLR accessories are cheap, KTM aren't", and of course spending over $14,000 on a motorcycle... it'll be worth twice as much as my truck! :D

Of course, It'll be nice to only have one tag and insurance to pay, and maintain just one bike instead of two, more available garage space, etc.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2017-ktm-1090-adventure-r-first-ride-review
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline bearcat263

• +0/-0
    • KTM 990
Re: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:51:36 AM »
did the same thing back in 2012 sold my 08 klr that had everything done to it that you that you can do to a klr and still be a klr
jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new 990 under it and then changed the radiator cap and haven't looked back or regretted
it since. :) :) have pretty much got it where i want it except for suspension but that will be taken care of this winter. go for it
you won't regret it.  Mike
A bad day of riding,fishing or hunting sure beats a good day of work.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100
2012 KTM 990 Adv.

Offline Harvey Mushman

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
I would suspect it might depend a lot on the type of riding you do. If you don't do much 2 up riding, you may not miss the V-Star. Although I have very little KLR experience, (I rode one about 10 miles on the street one day), I suspect the KLR may be a bit lighter than the KTM and me be a little better on single track or off road than the KTM??  If you don't ride much technical stuff, you may not miss the KLR.  If you can afford to, buy the KTM and live with it for a riding season and then determine what to do.

I was up to five bikes in the garage and after I recently retired, got down to three. It's very nice not having so much stuff in the garage to maintain and the additional garage space is nice. I have to discipline myself to quit looking at bikes for sale on CL and ADVrider! LOL. Good luck on your decision. That KaTooM is a tasty looking morsel :P

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »
I suspect the KLR may be a bit lighter than the KTM and me be a little better on single track or off road than the KTM??  If you don't ride much technical stuff, you may not miss the KLR.  If you can afford to, buy the KTM and live with it for a riding season and then determine what to do.

The KTM is 456lb dry, vs the KLR at 337lb... buuuuut the KLR makes maybe 29hp (that's after over boring to 692cc). The KTM makes ~125hp in sport mode, so much that 'offroad' mode tunes it back to 'only' 100hp.
Torque is the same story - the KTM is about 84ft-lb, vs the KLR at 33ft-lb.

That's a difference of 0.219 hp/lb (offroad mode) for the KTM to 0.086 for the KLR - a difference of 2.456 pwr/weight ratio. That's pretty significant.

I think the engine probably won't notice the extra weight. At all. Between that, and the more rigid frame; it sounds like it should be able to handle itself; however what you've mentioned there is a concern that I have in going to a bigger bike. It's more capable in the specifications, but it's definitely bigger.

I do really like the technical stuff - I always look for the most minimum maintenance I can find; though it's usually still two tracks (or at least an ATV trail). We really don't have single track here in Kansas that I've been able to find, and where I've been that does have it, the KLR is pretty fat to get down that stuff anyways - a WR250 is the way to go there :D

Who knows, I might end up keeping the star, too. There's something to be said for just kicking back on the road bike and cruising down the highway. DS is tons of fun, but touring is very relaxing. I feel like there's a place in my stable for both bikes :)

KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline landk892002

• +0/-0
    • VFR 1200 X
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
I've ridden street bikes an enormous amount of time. Spent a few miles on dirt and occasionally doing the adventure thing Big Bend, Colombia, Patagonia). IMO everything has its place and the adventure bike is no substitute for a dirt bike or a street bike.  None of the adventure bikes can hold up against say a DRZ in the dirt or a nice touring bike, whether it be a wing, Harley or beemer on the street. If you can only afford one bike it probably should be an adventure bike. If you can have two, I suggest diversifying what fits your portfolio and riding style the best.   If you want to ride around the world, certainly the beemer or KTM's can fit that nitch and they shine quite well!

Happy hunting!
Les

Offline Derek

• Turbo retro-encabulator
  • +2/-0
    • [various loud orange bikes]
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
There really sin't one bike that will do everything really well. The multi cylinder bikes shine at eating up mileage with comfort and speed, but they aren't as much fun as a thumper in technical stuff. Kansas is kind of an outlier, from a terrain standpoint. I've ridden out here for a couple years now, and I haven't once come across something I consider technical. You can drive a jeep or a truck down everything we ride on.  For me, technical stuff is, bar width trees, difficult climbs, sketchy descents, etc.. stuff where its a real challenge to break 20mph. That doesn't really exist out here.

Having said that, I have more fun on my little 530 than I did the AT, but the AT is much more comfortable over a long days riding. I like riding a 'slower' bike fast, over riding a 'faster' bike slower, if that makes sense. The AT did really well for its weight and what it was built for, but it just physically can't handle and react to terrain the same way a 250lb single can.

Cliffs notes- get several bikes if you can, lol.
Growing up is optional

Offline bearcat263

• +0/-0
    • KTM 990
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »
That's why I have two different bikes a street bike and an Adventure bike cause one just won't do everything.
A bad day of riding,fishing or hunting sure beats a good day of work.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100
2012 KTM 990 Adv.

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
Kansas is kind of an outlier, from a terrain standpoint. I've ridden out here for a couple years now, and I haven't once come across something I consider technical. You can drive a jeep or a truck down everything we ride on.  For me, technical stuff is, bar width trees, difficult climbs, sketchy descents, etc.. stuff where its a real challenge to break 20mph. That doesn't really exist out here.

I've found a few places that would probably qualify, but really not much; you're right. However, that stuff is really fun!  8)

KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-ktm-enduro-800-spied-testing-1635886
http://www.cycleworld.com/spied-2018-ktm-800-adventure-bike

This might be the answer :D

However, this review of the 1090R, the rider is assaulting exactly the kind of stuff that is the kind of thing I like to go find :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:50:53 PM by Nick Bright »
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Derek

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »
Dude- an 800R would be insane.  I'm really excited about the T7 and 800R coming out soon..  this is a great time to be into ADV bikes!
Growing up is optional

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »
Dude- an 800R would be insane.  I'm really excited about the T7 and 800R coming out soon..  this is a great time to be into ADV bikes!

I've been feeling very discouraged about the status of the marketplace while shopping, and reading about the T7 and 790R are really getting my hopes up.

The Japanese manufacturers have seemingly been sitting on their thumbs for decades - the mid-range bikes around 600-700cc just don't exist aside from the various 650cc models based on 1970's and 1980's designs. Honda has done an awesome service to our market segment with the Africa Twin, but that's still on the large side of the mid-size DS/ADV category. It's definitely a nice bike, but it's a little bigger than I'm looking for. It almost feels like the Yamaha T7 was developed as a direct result of Hondas' development of the new AT. Hopefully Suzuki and Kawaski will get in on that action - though I sincerely doubt the new models will be thumpers due to emissions, but who knows? KTM managed to do it with their 690cc LC6 engine.

With the stagnation in the Japanese manufacturing pool, the only serious entry into this segment has been the KTM 690R -which has been moved to the Husqvarna lineup as the 701 Enduro (http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/sk/enduro/dual-sport/701-enduro-1/); but its' plastic rear sub frame severely limits the "touring" aspect of adventure touring. It's a seriously bad ass bike, but does seem to lack a little in the cargo department.

Right or wrong, I don't really feel like the BMW lineup fits in this category. In my mind, they're very road focused. But maybe - just maybe - I haven't given them enough shake in looking at bikes in this class. The F800GS does have a nice set of modern specifications similar to what we'll see in the T7 and 790R, but I've just never gotten a favorable impression of the GS lineup. I can't really put my finger on why - though I really don't like the way that the opposing twins look, with the heads hanging out the sides. I think that's my biggest turnoff for the BMW.

The Yamaha T7 and KTM 790R are going to - hopefully - drop right into a void in the ADV world between 500 and 1000CC having both touring and dirt capabilities. I see the Africa Twin and KTM 1090R at the very top of that size category, and while I feel like I would be pretty happy with one of those; I don't want to "settle" for something that's "good enough".

Fortunately both the T7 and 790R should be available by the time I'm looking to write a check in late 2018! :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:00:53 PM by Nick Bright »
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »
Some Yamaha T7 videos. Hopefully the body style will be a little more ADV than Dirt when it actually hits the market (the subframe doesn't look like it'll handle much gear in the prototype videos). I've been so happy with my Yamaha touring bike that a lot of weight goes to the Yamaha brand in my mind.

(English subs)

KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 08:25:40 PM »
LOL You need to quit reading sales floor brochures , the KLR is a 425+ pound pig at best.

Wet, yes (432lb). I was comparing dry weight specifications.

https://www.google.com/search?q=klr+650+dry+weight
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:36:13 PM by Nick Bright »
KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline Derek

• +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
I love that T7..,, I honestly hope its more dirt oriented than street, once the production model comes out. I guess the real question is, is the T7 we're seeing a pre-production model, or is that still prototyped?

I would assume that since Yamaha is allowing it to be seen, its in the pre production stage.

I love love love katooms [I've owned many, and currently own two right now] , but I would honestly rather buy a first year Yamaha, over a first year KTM, lol.
Growing up is optional

Offline Nick Bright

• Server Admin
  • +9/-0
    • KTM 790 ADV-R
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
I love that T7..,, I honestly hope its more dirt oriented than street, once the production model comes out. I guess the real question is, is the T7 we're seeing a pre-production model, or is that still prototyped?

I would assume that since Yamaha is allowing it to be seen, its in the pre production stage.

I love love love katooms [I've owned many, and currently own two right now] , but I would honestly rather buy a first year Yamaha, over a first year KTM, lol.

I am really eager to see what the full production T7 is going to be. I will seriously consider that bike as an option if it meets the kind of riding I'm looking for; but all of the pictures so far are noticeably lacking any and all luggage capacity; which IMO makes it a Dual Sport, not an Adventure bike. A true "Adventure" bike, IMHO, must have a rear sub-frame set up for luggage. Tail platform minimum, pannier provisions barely not "required".

So far, the pictures of the T7 look like it will require an aftermarket sub-frame upgrade to support any kind of serious adventure cargo capacity; which is very disappointing to me.
KTM 790 Adventure R